I love a risotto but it’s not practical for me to stand at the cooker ladling stock into a pan and stirring religiously.
One day I decided to try a throw it all in approach and I have to admit I was delighted with the final result.
This recipe for me delivers all the flavour without the endless stirring!
Winner winner chicken risotto dinner!
This is one of the many recipes I created when I followed the 90 Day Plan by The Body Coach. Simply use your plans ingredient amounts instead of those shown in the recipe. There are 220 Create Your Own (CYO) friendly recipes in my app and on this website.
Ingredients for 1 serving
|277 g||chicken breast, chopped into chunks||76 g||risotto rice||1||chicken stock cube||400 ml||boiling water||46 g||onions, chopped||116 g||mushrooms, sliced||6 g||olive oil||75 g||spinach||74 g||mange tout||25 g||reduced fat sour cream||5 g||parmesan cheese||salt and pepper|
- Put a frying pan on a medium heat.
- Add the oil and when it has warmed add the onion.
- Take a few minutes to soften the onion being careful not to colour it.
- Add the mushrooms with a sprinkle of salt, this will help release the mushrooms natural juices eliminating the need for more oil.
- After a couple of minutes add the rice and stir this into the onions and mushrooms.
- Add the stock cube to the boiling water and add 3/4 of it to the pan.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, then lower the heat to a medium simmer adding the chicken and the parmesan if you want to.
- Give the mixture the very occasional stir to move the chicken around the pan.
- The rice should take around 15-20 minutes to cook aldente but add more water if you feel there’s not enough liquid to cook the rice. Eventually you want the pan to be on the dry side, no one likes a soggy risotto!
- When you feel the rice is almost cooked, stir through the sour cream to add a creamy note to the dish.
- Add the spinach to the pan giving it a stir to incorporate it into the rice then add the mange tout.
- After a couple of minutes the risotto will be ready to serve.
- Season to taste and serve.
- For anyone following older BC plans, rice will be included as part of your carbs list, but the swaps page does not distinguish between varieties of rice and the macros for basmati and risotto rice are very similar.
- Parmesan cheese it a totally optional ingredient for this recipe, but even the smallest amount will intensify the flavour!
- If you poach the chicken as per the method above it will be lovely and juicy. Alternatively you can pan fry the chicken and top the risotto with it as illustrated.
- I prefer to use low salt stock cubes.
Find me on: Web