I love a proper cottage pie, but there is a place in my recipe list for a quick deconstructed version. The potato is cooked as a roti so what’s not to love about potato fried in a pan with onion. It’s quick to make with all the flavour of a traditional cottage pie.
Ingredients for 1 serving
|218g||extra lean beef mince|
|1/2||beef stock cube|
|95g||chopped tomatoes, blended until smooth|
|1 tsp||worcester sauce|
|25ml||sweet chilli sauce|
|10g||fresh parsley, chopped|
|salt and pepper|
(Example ingredient amounts given, adjust accordingly to your requirements)
- Put a frying pan on a medium heat add the beef mince to brown it.
- When the mince has browned, break up any big lumps so that the meat is roughly the same size.
- Sprinkle the beef stock cube over the meat and the worcester sauce before giving everything a good stir.
- Add the water and bring this to the boil.
- Once boiling, add the sweet chilli sauce along with the blended tomatoes and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Take another frying pan and add half the oil.
- Mix the grated potato and onion in a bowl and give it a good mix.
- Add the potato and onion mix to the pan and flatten it out to make a rosti or if you would prefer leave the mixture lose so that it’s more of a hash.
- The trick with the rosti or hash mixture is to let it catch on the pan before stirring or flipping.
- To prevent the mixture from getting too dry add a splash of hot water to the pan. As well as eliminating the need for more oil at this stage, it will also help to cook the potato quicker.
- After about 5 minutes, the potato should be almost cooked so check on the meat mixture.
- Steam the broccoli to your liking and set it aside.
- Check the mince mixture, the sauce should be nice and thick now.
- Add the last of the oil to the pan of potatoes and give it a final couple of minutes to colour and season to taste.
- Before you plate the meat mixture, stir in the chopped parsley then pop it on the plate.
- Arrange the potato on top and serve the broccoli to the side.
There you have it!
- Make sure your mince is extra lean, less than 5% of fat per 100g.
- For those on 2018 BC plans, sweet chilli sauce is a swap for other side sauces provided you choose one with equivalent macros.
- If you feel the pan with the potatoes is too dry, add a tablespoon of water instead of oil.
- I prefer to use low salt stock cubes.