I love a proper cottage pie, but there is a place in my recipe list for a quick deconstructed version.
The potato is cooked as a roti so what’s not to love about potato fried in a pan with onion.
It’s quick to make with all the flavour of a traditional cottage pie.
This is one of the many recipes I created when I followed the 90 Day Plan by The Body Coach. Simply use your plans ingredient amounts instead of those shown in the recipe. There are 220 Create Your Own (CYO) friendly recipes in my app and on this website.
Ingredients for 1 serving
|218 g||extra lean beef mince||173 g||potato, grated||46 g||onions, chopped||0.5||beef stock cube||95 g||chopped tomatoes, blended until smooth||1 tsp||worcester sauce||25 ml||sweet chilli sauce||10 g||fresh parsley, chopped||60 ml||water||6 g||olive oil||149 g||broccoli||salt and pepper|
- Put a frying pan on a medium heat add the beef mince to brown it.
- When the mince has browned, break up any big lumps so that the meat is roughly the same size.
- Sprinkle the beef stock cube over the meat and the worcester sauce before giving everything a good stir.
- Add the water and bring this to the boil.
- Once boiling, add the sweet chilli sauce along with the blended tomatoes and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Take another frying pan and add half the oil.
- Mix the grated potato and onion in a bowl and give it a good mix.
- Add the potato and onion mix to the pan and flatten it out to make a rosti or if you would prefer leave the mixture lose so that it’s more of a hash.
- The trick with the rosti or hash mixture is to let it catch on the pan before stirring or flipping.
- To prevent the mixture from getting too dry add a splash of hot water to the pan. As well as eliminating the need for more oil at this stage, it will also help to cook the potato quicker.
- After about 5 minutes, the potato should be almost cooked so check on the meat mixture.
- Steam the broccoli to your liking and set it aside.
- Check the mince mixture, the sauce should be nice and thick now.
- Add the last of the oil to the pan of potatoes and give it a final couple of minutes to colour and season to taste.
- Before you plate the meat mixture, stir in the chopped parsley then pop it on the plate.
- Arrange the potato on top and serve the broccoli to the side.
- Make sure your mince is extra lean, less than 5% of fat per 100g.
- For those on 2018 BC plans, sweet chilli sauce is a swap for other side sauces provided you choose one with equivalent macros.
- If you feel the pan with the potatoes is too dry, add a tablespoon of water instead of oil.
- I prefer to use low salt stock cubes.