I’ve tried really hard to get my fish oils from more than just capsules and this is a lovely simple recipe to make.
It’s great take to work with you and really lovely with smoked salmon as the lemon cuts through the oily fish.
Oh and it’s pretty too!
This is one of the many recipes I created when I followed the 90 Day Plan by The Body Coach. Simply use your plans ingredient amounts instead of those shown in the recipe. There are 220 Create Your Own (CYO) friendly recipes in my app and on this website.
Ingredients for 1 serving
|cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
|spring onion, finely chopped
|avocado, cut into chunks
|reduced fat sour cream
|salt and pepper
- Put a frying pan onto a medium heat and add the spinach.
- Use a pair of tongs to move the spinach around the pan and this will very quickly wilt.
- Once wilted, pop the spinach into a bowl and add salt & pepper to taste, the olive oil and the juice of half a lemon.
- Keep a slice of lemon to one side for later.
- Give this a good mix and pop it into your chosen container (I used a fairly large jam jar, I’m sure you an guess which brand!) and compress it a little as there’s quite a bit still to add to the jar.
- Next arrange your chopped cherry tomatoes on top, then the spring onion and the chunks of avocado.
- Take a bowl and carefully flake the smoked mackerel in making sure to keep an eye out for those pesky bones.
- Once the mackerel is flaked, take a fine grater or zesting tool and grate some lemon zest into the mackerel.
- You might think it would be easier to use the remaining lemon juice, but this could curdle the final ingredient which is reduced fat sour cream.
- The lemon zest and sour cream is going cut through the lovely fish oils without killing the flavour.
- Give the mackerel a good mix to coat the flakes with the lemon zest and sour cream then spoon it on top of the avocado.
- Pop your lemon slice on the side for a spritz when you come to eat!
- For anyone following 2018 BC plans, smoked mackerel is a swap for salmon.
- The smoked mackerel I use has no added sugar in the cure.
- This recipe is also lovely with smoked salmon.