It’s really unusual for me to have any Bolognese sauce left over, especially as the children are mad for it! But, if you ever wonder what to do with left over Bolognese sauce, wonder no more! Even made fresh this recipe can be ready in as little as 10 minutes!
Ingredients for 1 serving
|176g||extra lean beef mince|
|95g||chopped tomatoes, blended until smooth|
|1||garlic clove, chopped or crushed|
|95g||cherry tomatoes, sliced in half|
|10g||fresh basil leaves|
|48ml||sweet chilli sauce|
|1||chilli, sliced, seeds or no seeds up to you!|
|salt and pepper|
(Example ingredient amounts given, adjust accordingly to your requirements)
- Take a medium frying pan and put it on a medium heat.
- Add the olive oil and beef mince.
- Brown the mince until it’s cooked through and break up any large clumps of meat.
- Add the garlic and chopped red chilli.
- Give the mixture a good stir and cook for about a minute.
- Pour in the blended tomatoes and the sweet chilli sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and bring to a rapid boil with a lid on (you don’t want to lose too much liquid volume).
- After 2 minutes turn the heat to medium, stir through half of the fresh basil leaves along with the spinach and stir it into the sauce to wilt.
- When the spinach is wilted, add the whole eggs and egg whites to poach in the sauce.
- Pop the lid back on and poach until the eggs are poached to your liking.
- When they’re ready, turn off the heat, turn out the mixture carefully on a plate.
- Scatter the cherry tomatoes and the remaining fresh basil onto your dish.
- Make sure your mince is extra lean, less than 5% of fat per 100g.
- Fresh basil really works for this recipe, so why not buy some fresh basil and freeze for when you need it. Take it straight from the freezer and throw it in the pan. Maximise flavour and maximise value for money too!
- Traditionally in Italian cooking you would use the smallest pinch of sugar to take any acidity out of the tomatoes but for this recipe I am using the sweet chilli sauce to do that.
- For those on 2018 BC plans, sweet chilli sauce is a swap for other side sauces provided you choose one with equivalent macros.