My turkey biryani is a really quick dish to make. It makes great use of vegetable odds and ends and it livens up your turkey leftovers too!
Ingredients for 4 servings
|200g||Dried Basmati Rice|
|100 ml||Boiling Water|
|1||Whole Red Chilli (chopped)|
|75g||Frozen Mixed Peppers|
|150g||Cooked Carrots (cut into cubes)|
|180g||Cooked Sprouts (quartered)|
|2 tsp||Coconut Oil|
|50g||Spring Onion (chopped)|
|10g||Fresh Coriander (chopped)|
|3 tsp||Ground Cumin|
|4 tsp||Curry Powder|
|50 ml||Natural Yogurt|
- Sauce Pan
- Large Frying Pan
- Put the sauce pan onto the heat, fill with boiled water and cook the rice according to the manufacturers instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Pour the boiling water into the bowl and add the stock cube. Stir the water to dissolve the stock cube before adding the turkey. This is going to rehydrate the turkey.
- Take a frying pan and put it on a medium heat.
- Add the coconut oil to the pan.
- Use the back of a knife to gently crush the cardamom pods and add these to the pan along with the onion.
- Cook the onions for a few minutes to soften them before adding the frozen spinach, sweetcorn and peppers.
- After a few minutes add the turkey to the pan and mix everything throughly.
- Add the chopped chilli and spices and thoroughly coat the turkey.
- Next add the carrots and sprouts to the pan and mix them before leaving them for a couple of minutes to warm through.
- Add the rice to the pan and again mix thoroughly before having a taste. Add any extra seasoning you feel necessary at this point before removing the dish from the heat.
- Sprinkle the top with the chopped spring onion and almond slices.
- Dot the top with the yogurt and finish with the chopped coriander.
- Feel free to use ready-cooked rice instead of dried.
- The trick to using turkey leftovers is to make a dish that adds moisture to the turkey as it’s so lean and subsequently dry after roasting. Because this recipe doesn’t have a sauce, rehydrating it with the stock also adds a depth of flavour to your dish.
- Remember to play cardamom pod bingo when you eat!
- I used a chicken stock cube but feel free to use vegetable if you prefer.
- I like to used brown basmati rice.