Who doesn’t love a sausage roll? Well this is my best shot at making a lean version and I’ve made it over and over again!
A sausage roll, with cheese? Yes please!
his is one of the many lean recipes that I’ve created where flavour and simplicity are key. There are hundreds of lean recipes in my app The Lean Cook with adjustable calories and macros.
Ingredients for 1 serving
|140 g||extra lean pork mince||46 g||onions, finely chopped||1 tsp||dried sage||6 g||olive oil||1||whole eggs||1||egg white||35 g||cheddar cheese, grated||116 g||mushrooms, sliced||30 ml||sweet chilli sauce||149 g||spinach||salt and pepper|
- Put a frying pan on a medium heat and brush the frying pan with the oil using a pastry brush.
- Whisk the whole eggs and pour into the frying pan to make a large pancake.
- Gently cook the egg so that you can see the egg has set, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Pre-heat your oven to 190°C fan/400°F and line a baking sheet with non stick foil.
- Put the pork mince into a bowl with the finely chopped onion, dried sage and season to taste.
- Using your hands give the pork a good mix to evenly distribute the seasoning and onion throughout the mince.
- Divide your mince to the number of egg wraps you’ve made and shape them into a sausage shape as long as your wrap.
- Bake these in the oven for 10 minutes before removing them from the oven.
- Place a wrap onto a chopping board, sprinkle some of your cheese across the centre of the wrap, place your sausage across the top and start to wrap the egg wrap around the sausage.
- Repeat until you’ve used all of your sausage mix and egg wraps, and then bake for a final 10 minutes.
- Take a non stick frying pan and pop it on a medium heat, add your mushrooms with a sprinkle of salt and any remaining oil, cook until softened and set aside.
- Wilt the spinach in the same pan and pop onto a plate with the mushrooms.
- When the sausage rolls are ready, remove them from the oven, cut them in half and pop them onto the plate.
- Add a dollop of sweet chilli sauce and enjoy your sausage roll!
- Make sure your mince is extra lean, less than 6% of fat per 100g.
- If you can make the mince mixture the day before the flavour will be just like a sage and onion sausage only lean!
- Check out the video showing exactly how to make egg wraps!
- Please note that just using 1 whole egg and 1 egg white I have made an egg wrap using a pan with a 22cm diameter.
Find me on: Web