There are days when you need to be able to put something delicious on the table without spending much time or effort. While I love making my own meatballs, there’s some joy to be able to rustle this up when I’m feeling a little tried without resorting to a ready meal.
Ingredients for 2 servings
|1-2||chilli, sliced, seeds or no seeds up to you!|
|50g||cheddar cheese, grated|
|salt and pepper|
(Example ingredient amounts given, adjust accordingly to your requirements)
- Pre-heat your grill to it’s highest setting.
- Cook your pasta according to the manufacturers instructions and in the time it takes to cook, your sauce will be ready!
- Cut each sausage into 8 pieces and place a large frying pan onto the heat.
- When the pan is warm add the sausage pieces to brown.
- After a couple of minutes, roughly chop the mushrooms and add them to the pan with the garlic and chilli.
- When the mushrooms have softened, add the chopped tomatoes to the pan and bring the pan to the boil with a lid on.
- When the sauce is boiling, reduce it to a simmer until you’re left with a dry sauce – this should take only a few minutes.
- Add the pesto to the sauce, mix thoroughly and taste to adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Drain the pasta and add this to the sauce and thoroughly coat the pasta with the sauce before putting it into an oven proof dish.
- Scatter the cheddar over the pasta and grill until golden brown.
- How quick was that!
- Use good quality pork sausages with a high meat content.
- The cheddar I used was 30% reduced fat.
- I used penne pasta, but any other shape like rigatoni would work just as well.