I’ve been wanting a curry for a while now, and this one didn’t disappoint. It’s spicy, full of flavour, has few ingredients, and really quick to make. Making a curry from a few spices can be a confidence thing. A bit of this and a touch of that, you’d be surprised how simple a curry is to make. Try this one out and see for yourself!
Ingredients for 1 serving
|267g||chicken breast, chopped into chunks|
|1||blade of lemongrass, roughly chopped|
|42ml||reduced fat coconut milk|
|24g||cashews, lightly toasted|
|1 inch||piece of ginger, grated|
|2||cloves of garlic, crushed|
|1 tsp||cumin powder|
|1 tsp||chilli powder|
|1 tsp||turmeric powder|
|149g||broccoli made into broccoli rice|
(Example ingredient amounts given, adjust accordingly to your requirements)
- Using a mini food processor, blend the lemongrass, peppers and onions to a paste.
- Take half of the coconut oil and add it to a frying pan to warm.
- Add the paste and gently start to coat it in the oil.
- After a couple of minutes, add 1 clove of garlic, grated ginger, cumin, chilli powder and turmeric and give everything a good mix.
- Next add the coconut milk, chopped tomatoes and water. It’s going to look quite watery but that’s OK.
- Add the chicken, cover with a lid and turn up the heat as we want the mixture to come to a boil.
- When it’s boiling, turn it down to a medium simmer and leave it for around 5 minutes.
- Check the chicken to see if its cooked, remember if the chicken is firm it’s cooked. If not give it another 5 minutes.
- When you’re happy the chicken is cooked, take the lid off the pan and let some of the liquid reduce, this is going to thicken up the sauce.
- In another frying pan add the remaining coconut oil when it’s hot add the remaining garlic and the broccoli rice.
- Stir fry this quickly so as not to burn the garlic, if you want turn the heat down and cook it for a little longer. It should only take a couple of minutes to cook this way.
- Plate up the rice, put the frying pan back on the heat and start to toast the cashews.
- Go back to the curry, make sure you still have some of the liquid left, season to taste and add it to your plate with the broccoli rice.
- Top with the cashews and get a glass of water!
- For anyone following older BC plans you’ll notice that this recipe features 3 items from the vegetable list, therefore amounts of 2 have been halved so as not to affect the macros. Because you need peppers, onion AND tomatoes to make this recipe work, you have to halve the peppers and onion in order to have the full tomato allowance to create a sauce.
- Check out the video showing exactly how to make broccoli rice!
- This recipe is also lovely with cauliflower rice made in the same way as broccoli rice.