Spiced Red Cabbage
Spiced red cabbage is something I love to have as part of our Christmas feast. OK it would be easy to order a ready made version from the supermarket, but once you see how simple this really is to make, YOU WILL make this again and again like I do.
You can make this well in advance, freeze in batches and bring it out when you need to. It freezes really well and taste amazing!
Ingredients for 4-6 servings
|1 tbsp||Olive Oil|
|2 tsp||All Spice|
|2 tsp||Dijon Mustard|
|150 ml||Red Wine Vinegar|
|2 tbsp||Jam – i used blueberry & redcurrant)|
Large Sauce Pan with Lid
- Place the sauce pan onto a medium heat and add the oil and onion.
- Take a few minutes to soften the onion and shred the cabbage.
- Add the shredded cabbage to the pan and stir into the onion.
- Add the all spice to the pan along with the red wine vinegar, sugar and water.
- Give the pan contents a good mix before popping the lid on to bring it to the boil.
- When the pan is boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and tilt the lid to let some of the steam escape.
- Give the pan a stir after 15 minutes and leave it for a further 15 minutes being careful not to let the pan boil dry.
- After 30 minutes the liquid will have thickened a little and the red cabbage cooked but still has a little bite. Cook for a little longer if you prefer.
- Stir through the mustard and jam and leave to cook for a final 5 minutes.
- Feel free to use dried mustard if that’s what you have to hand.
- I used a jam that I have in my fridge, but feel free to use a blackberry or redcurrant jam. The jam lifts the flavour of the cabbage so the flavour of the jam isn’t a deal breaker, but i’ve never tried strawberry!
- I like to make this in batches and freeze it.