I like to make the most of my time, and sometimes that means spending less time in the kitchen. With this recipe my slow cooker does the majority of the work leaving me free to spend time with my family. If you don’t own a slow cooker, you can make this recipe using your oven, but slow cookers are a great addition to any kitchen!
Ingredients for 8 servings
|2kg||pork shoulder joint, boneless|
|2 tbsp||brown sugar|
|4 tbsp||BBQ sauce|
|400g||dried brown basmati rice|
|480g||kidney beans, drained|
|2||chicken stock cube|
(Example ingredient amounts given, adjust accordingly to your requirements)
- Place the onion slices in the bottom of the slow cooker and sit the joint of meat on top.
- Pour the cider into the jug and mix with the BBQ sauce and sugar.
- Stir and pour over the pork joint, cover with the lid and leave for a minimum of 8 hours on medium, but the longer you can leave it in your slow cooker, the better.
- If you don’t have a slow cooker, follow these same steps but pre-heat your oven to 170°C/325°F, place the ingredients into a casserole dish with a lid or wrap tightly with foil not to let the steam escape and cook for the same amount of time.
- When the pork is ready, set it aside and prepare the rice.
- Take a large saucepan and fill it with boiling water.
- Rinse the rice before adding it to the pan along with the drained kidney beans and the chicken stock cubes.
- Cook the rice according to the manufacturers instructions and drain when ready.
- Cut the broccoli in to florets and steam it to your liking.
- Remove the pork joint from the pan and place it onto a large baking sheet.
- Pour the cooking juices and onion into a jug and place it into the freezer so that any fat is visible enough to skim away so that you’re left with a tangy BBQ sauce with caramelised onions.
- Remove any fat from the joint and using 2 forks start to pull the meat apart.
- If while pulling the pork you come across any more fat within the meat layers, just remove this.
- Before you start to plate up, reheat your sauce if necessary.
- Add your savoury rice to the pan, then the steamed broccoli florets and finally your pulled pork.
- Spoon the BBQ sauce over the dish to finish and enjoy the fruits of your slow cookers hard work!
- I like to use low salt stock cubes.
- Don’t worry about removing any fat from the joint, place it into your slow cooker whole.
- When cooking with cider or wine, always cook with something that you’d actually drink.
- If you don’t have a slow cooker, the recipe method explains how to make this recipe in an oven.