I love humous, but I’m often disappointed by the ready made supermarket offerings.
With a few simple ingredients you can whip up a batch of houmous to suit your tastes.
With extra garlic, extra lemon or a little hidden heat, when you make it yourself you can decide how you’d like it this time!
his is one of the many lean recipes that I’ve created where flavour and simplicity are key. There are hundreds of lean recipes in my app The Lean Cook with adjustable calories and macros.
Ingredients for 2 servings
|400 g||chickpeas, tinned||2 tsp||tahini||2||garlic cloves, crushed||45 ml||extra virgin olive oil||1||lemon, juice only||1 tsp||smoked paprika||sea salt (pinch)|
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse them before adding them to your food processor.
- Add the tahini, crushed garlic, 2 tbsp / 30 ml of extra virgin olive oil and half of the lemon juice.
- Bliz the ingredients for a few minutes until smooth.
- Using a teaspoon, have a taste of the houmous and check the seasoning.
- Add the sea salt and lemon juice if necessary before giving the houmous a final blitz.
- Transfer the houmous to your dish and finish with a sprinkle of smoked paprika and the last tbsp / 15ml of olive oil.
- Add more garlic, lemon or tahini to suit your tastes.
- I like to make the houmous and refrigerate it for a few hours to intensify the flavours.
- I serve usually serve my houmous with crudites and pita bread.