I love humous, but I’m often disappointed by the ready made supermarket offerings. With a few simple ingredients you can whip up a batch of houmous to suit your tastes. With extra garlic, extra lemon or a little hidden heat, when you make it yourself you can decide how you’d like it this time!
Ingredients for 2 servings
|2||garlic cloves, crushed|
|45 ml||extra virgin olive oil|
|1||lemon, juice only|
|1 tsp||smoked paprika|
|sea salt (pinch)|
(Example ingredient amounts given, adjust accordingly to your requirements)
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse them before adding them to your food processor.
- Add the tahini, crushed garlic, 2 tbsp / 30 ml of extra virgin olive oil and half of the lemon juice.
- Bliz the ingredients for a few minutes until smooth.
- Using a teaspoon, have a taste of the houmous and check the seasoning.
- Add the sea salt and lemon juice if necessary before giving the houmous a final blitz.
- Transfer the houmous to your dish and finish with a sprinkle of smoked paprika and the last tbsp / 15ml of olive oil.
- Add more garlic, lemon or tahini to suit your tastes.
- I like to make the houmous and refrigerate it for a few hours to intensify the flavours.
- I serve usually serve my houmous with crudités and pita bread.