The night I made this for dinner I’d worked late and needed to get food onto the plate very quickly, but I was determined not to reach for a takeaway menu.
It had been snowing that day and this was a lovely comforting bowl of goodness no fast food outlet could provide me with.
his is one of the many lean recipes that I’ve created where flavour and simplicity are key. There are hundreds of lean recipes in my app The Lean Cook with adjustable calories and macros.
Ingredients for 1 serving
|150 g||chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, cut into slices||115 g||mushrooms, sliced||50 g||frozen peas||46 g||reduced fat sour cream||149 g||brussel sprouts, cut in half||salt and pepper|
- Put a medium frying pan onto a medium heat and when warm add the chicken thigh pieces.
- Place a pan of boiling water onto another burner and add the sprouts. When the chicken is ready, the sprouts will be ready!
- Leave the chicken to cook for at least 5 minutes so that they start to colour.
- Give them a good stir before adding the mushrooms along with a little salt. This will help draw out the mushrooms natural juices to eliminate the need to add any oil.
- When you’re happy that the chicken is almost cooked (it will be firm to the touch) add the peas to the pan.
- After a few minutes the peas will have warmed through so add the reduced fat sour cream and stir while this warms through.
- Drain the sprouts and add them to your plate along with your creamy stew.
- You’ll notice that I don’t add any oil to the thighs when cooking. They’re higher in fat than chicken breast so there’s no need to add more fats at this stage.
- I like to use frozen peas but feel free to use tinned or fresh.