I’m not afraid to say that I love pizza, who doesn’t? What I don’t enjoy are the salt laden pizza you get from take-out establishments and the need for copious amounts of water after finishing.
But what do I do when time is short, I want pizza but I’m at home and I don’t want to make a pizza base? I cheat of course by making this!
his is one of the many lean recipes that I’ve created where flavour and simplicity are key. There are hundreds of lean recipes in my app The Lean Cook with adjustable calories and macros.
Ingredients for 2 servings
|300 g||chicken thighs, boneless and skinless||200 g||chopped tomatoes||1/2 tsp||dried basil||1/2 tsp||dried oregano||12 g||extra virgin olive oil||45 g||mozzarella, grated||75 g||watercress||salt and pepper|
- Pre-heat your grill to its highest setting.
- Put a frying pan onto a medium heat to warm and then add the chicken thighs along with a little salt and pepper.
- Leave them to cook for approximately 3-4 minutes before turning them.
- Leave them for a further 3-4 minutes and turn them again. Each side should be a lovely golden colour.
- Add the chopped tomato to the pan around the chicken thighs. As the tomato cooks, the chicken will poach in the tomato juices and stay lovely and juicy!
- Add the dried oregano and basil to the tomatoes and turn the heat down so that the tomato doesn’t reduce too quickly.
- It should only take 2-3 minutes to cook the tomato, you can tell it’s ready because it will be lovely and thick.
- Use a fork to check that the chicken is cooked through, it will be firm to the touch.
- Remove the pan from the heat and carefully spoon the tomato sauce onto the chicken thighs.
- Top each piece of chicken with mozzarella and pop the pan under the grill for a few minutes.
- When the cheese is golden and bubbling, it’s ready!
- Arrange the watercress onto your plates, drizzle with the olive oil and arrange the chicken pizza bites on top.
- Feel free to use chicken breast pieces instead of thigh, but cut them into fillet size pieces to reduce the cooking time.
- I like to use tinned chopped tomatoes. Try to avoid the budget brands as they’ll be quite watery.
- Why don’t you make an extra portion for another day!