When I make a Picadillo, I really go to town and make a huge batch, leaving leftovers for the following day and several portions for the freezer.
I love to make this with leftovers but I’ve listed the full recipe incase you missed the original recipe.
his is one of the many lean recipes that I’ve created where flavour and simplicity are key. There are hundreds of lean recipes in my app The Lean Cook with adjustable calories and macros.
Ingredients for 6 servings
|500 g||extra lean beef mince||120 g||onions, finely chopped||2||garlic cloves||450 g||tomatoes, peeled, seeds removed and chopped||2||apples, peeled and chopped||6||pickled jalepeno slices||45 g||raisins||2 tsp||cinnamon||2 tsp||ground cumin||15 g||extra virgin olive oil||1||lime||6||tortilla wrap, size large||180 g||avocado, cut into chunks||75 g||dried brown basmati rice||50 ml||water||salt and pepper|
- Put a large sauce pan onto the heat and add the oil.
- When warm add the beef, onion and garlic.
- Stir every few minutes to brown the mince and soften the onions.
- When the mince has browned add the chopped apples and tomatoes along with the spices, jalapeño slices and raisins.
- Take a few minutes to coat everything in the spices before adding the water.
- Turn the heat down and leave this to cook for at least 2 hours or transfer the mixture to a slow cooker and leave it to cook for several hours, the longer the better!
- Cook the rice according to the manufacturers instructions, drain and set aside.
- When the picadillo is ready, mix the rice into the picadillo and spritz with the lime.
- Lay a large tortilla onto an oversized sheet of foil and fill the centre of the tortilla with the picadillo and rice mix.
- Add the chunks of avocado before rolling and wrapping the burrito with foil.
- Eat straight away or refrigerate for later.
- The burrito is lovely hot or cold!
- Make sure your mince is extra lean, less than 6% of fat per 100g.
- I like to batch cook this recipe and have leftovers the following day as well as a few portions for the freezer.
- I like to make the burrito using leftover picadillo mix from a much larger batch!
- You could cook this in the oven at a moderate temperature for several hours if you’d prefer.