There are many ways I can dress a bowl of steaming pasta and this is quick, easy to make and all to quickly finished!
My sons really enjoy this dish.
There’s something about penne that they love and they leave the table up to their eyebrows in tomato sauce.
This is one of the many recipes I created when I followed the 90 Day Plan by The Body Coach. Simply use your plans ingredient amounts instead of those shown in the recipe. There are 220 Create Your Own (CYO) friendly recipes in my app and on this website.
Ingredients for 1 serving
|253 g||turkey breast mince||190 g||chopped tomatoes, blended until smooth||1||garlic clove, chopped or crushed||10 g||fresh basil leaves, chopped||80 g||dried pasta||6 g||olive oil||25 ml||sweet chilli sauce||30 ml||water||149 g||mixed salad leaves||salt and pepper|
- To a medium sized pan of boiling water, add your penne and cook according to the manufacturers instructions.
- By the time it’s cooked, your sauce will be ready.
- Take a medium frying pan, put on a medium heat and add the olive oil and mince.
- Brown the mince until it’s cooked through and break up any large clumps of meat.
- Add the crushed garlic and give the mixture a good stir and cook for about a minute.
- Pour in the blended tomatoes and the sweet chilli sauce and the water, season with salt and pepper to taste and half of the basil.
- Bring to a rapid boil with a lid on (you don’t want to lose too much liquid volume).
- When the penne is ready, add a splash of cold water to the pan to stop the pasta from over cooking, drain the water and add the penne to the sauce.
- Coat the penne with sauce, and pop it on a plate and serve with your mixed salad leaves.
- Sprinkle on the last of the fresh chopped basil and eat!
- Make sure your mince is extra lean, less than 5% of fat per 100g.
- For those on 2018 BC plans, sweet chilli sauce is a swap for other side sauces provided you choose one with equivalent macros.
- Traditionally in Italian cooking you would use the smallest pinch of sugar to take any acidity out of the tomatoes but for this recipe I am using the sweet chilli sauce to do that.
- For this recipe, the dried pasta varieties I’ve used are Penne and Rigatoni.
- To make the sauce go further, I like to blend my tomatoes until smooth.