With many dishes there are strict rules as to what is considered authentic, and this is not an authentic paella. Instead, it’s my interpretation of a paella which includes lots of elements that I enjoy and I hope you enjoy it too!
Ingredients for 2 servings
|2||chicken thighs, bone in and skin on|
|50g||chorizo, thinly sliced|
|1 tsp||smoked paprika|
|1 inch||sprig of fresh rosemary|
|1||chicken stock cube|
|1/2||lemon, juice only|
(Example ingredient amounts given, adjust accordingly to your requirements)
- Pre-heat your oven to 220°C fan/425°F and line a baking sheet with non stick foil.
- When the oven is hot, place the chicken thighs onto the lined baking sheet, sprinkle with a little salt and bake while the paella cooks.
- Make the stock by dissolving the stock cube into the boiling water along with the saffron and add the dried mushrooms to rehydrate.
- Put a medium frying pan on a medium heat, add the oil and add the chopped onion.
- Move the onion around the pan for a minute then add the chorizo.
- When the chorizo starts to release its oils, add the paella rice.
- Coat the rice in the oils before adding the smoked paprika and stir again before adding the chicken stock and mushroom.
- Add the tomatoes and give everything a good stir before leaving the paella to cook for approximately 15 minutes at a simmer.
- When 15 minutes has elapsed, remove the sprig of rosemary.
- Add the frozen peas to the pan along with the mixed seafood and cook for a final 5 minutes but feel free to add a little more water if the pan is too dry.
- At the end of the cooking time, all of the stock will have evaporated and the paella rice will be cooked with a little bite.
- Remove the paella from the heat and add a little squeeze of lemon to life the flavours.
- Pop the paella onto your plate and top with the chicken thigh that’s been baking. The chicken should be cooked through with crispy golden skin.
- I like to use low salt stock cubes.
- The mixed seafood that I used was squid rings, mussels and prawns from the frozen section.
- Feel free to use chicken breast instead of thighs.