I like to prepare things in bulk to have on hand for the next meal to save time, but sometimes I’m left with a few odds and ends.
This is especially true at the end of the grocery week and this is a dish that makes good use of the last few tomatoes, that half pepper, those boiled potatoes.
The ingredients will depend on what you have to hand, but this recipe gives you good guidance when you’re stuck with a few bits and don’t know what to make!
his is one of the many lean recipes that I’ve created where flavour and simplicity are key. There are hundreds of lean recipes in my app The Lean Cook with adjustable calories and macros.
Ingredients for 2 servings
|4||whole eggs||60 g||mushrooms, sliced||60 g||onion, sliced||60 g||peppers, sliced||60 g||cherry tomatoes||100 g||spinach||150 g||new potatoes, boiled and sliced||12 g||olive oil||12 g||sriracha hot sauce||salt and pepper|
- Put a medium frying pan onto a medium heat and add the oil to warm.
- Add the potato slices and leave them to colour for a few minutes before adding the onion, peppers and mushrooms.
- Give the ingredients a good mix to start the process to soften them, this should take only a few minutes.
- Add the spinach to the pan and move the veggies around the pan to help the spinach wilt.
- When all of the spinach has wilted, create 4 recesses and crack an egg into each.
- Before you pop the lid on, throw in the cherry tomatoes and pop the lid on to poach the eggs, but if you feel the pan is a little dry at this stage, don’t be afraid to add a couple of tablespoons of water to the pan.
- Poach the eggs to your liking, this should only take a couple of minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add a generous dash of the sriracha hot sauce to liven things up and enjoy!
- This is a great recipe to use up those fridge ingredients that are left over at the end of the grocery week.
- Don’t be afraid to add some sausages, chicken or bacon to the pan.
- I like to add the tomatoes towards the end of cooking so that they partially cook but still pop when you bite into them!