I love a risotto but it’s not practical for me to stand at the cooker ladling stock into a pan and stirring religiously. One day I decided to try a throw it all in approach and I have to admit I was delighted with the final result. This recipe is the 2nd risotto recipe that I’ve come up with.
Ingredients for 1 serving
|1||chicken stock cube|
|60g||broad beans, tinned|
|25g||reduced fat sour cream|
|salt and pepper|
(Example ingredient amounts given, adjust accordingly to your requirements)
- Pre-heat your oven to 190°C fan/400°F.
- Prepare your vegetables by slicing your onions and mushrooms.
- Take a piece of kitchen foil, place the salmon in the centre, top with the dill.
- Season the salmon to taste before wrapping it into a little parcel and baking it for approx 8 minutes.
- Allow the salmon to rest while you prepare the remainder of the dish.
- Put a frying pan on a medium heat add the oil then add the onion. Keep an eye on the heat as you don’t want to colour the onion, only soften it.
- Next add the mushrooms with a sprinkle of salt, this will help release the mushrooms natural juices eliminating the need for more oil.
- After a couple of minutes add the rice and stir this into the onions and mushrooms.
- Add the stock cube to the boiling water and add 3/4 of it to the pan.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, then lower to a medium simmer adding the parmesan if you want to.
- Give the mixture the very occasional stir, the rice should take around 20 minutes to cook aldente but add more water if you feel there’s not enough liquid to cook the rice. Eventually you want the pan to be on the dry side, no one likes a soggy risotto!
- When you feel the rice is almost cooked, stir through the sour cream to add a creamy note to the dish.
- Add the spinach and broad beans, giving it a stir to incorporate everything into the rice wilting the spinach and warming the broad beans.
- After a couple of minutes the risotto will be ready to serve.
- Top the risotto with the oven poached salmon.
- For anyone following older BC plans, rice will be included as part of your carbs list, but the swaps page does not distinguish between varieties of rice and the macros for basmati and risotto rice are very similar.
- Again, for anyone following older BC plans, salmon has been used in place of chicken breast.
- Parmesan cheese it a totally optional ingredient for this recipe, but even the smallest amount will intensify the flavour!
- I like to use low salt stock cubes.