My mum is diabetic and during a recent visit I wanted to show her that following a reduced carb diet isn’t restrictive with this recipe.
I’ve been quite creative with recipes to try and show her that she can eat her favourite things without the additional carbs she normally has.
This is one of the many recipes I created when I followed the 90 Day Plan by The Body Coach. Simply use your plans ingredient amounts instead of those shown in the recipe. There are 220 Create Your Own (CYO) friendly recipes in my app and on this website.
Ingredients for 1 serving
|176 g||sirloin steak||52 g||peppers, sliced||95 g||chopped tomatoes||25 ml||water||1||garlic clove, chopped or crushed||6 g||olive oil||1 tsp||dried oregano||66 g||mozzarella||48 ml||sweet chilli sauce||149 g||mixed salad leaves||salt and pepper|
- Pre heat your grill to its highest setting and line a baking sheet with non stick foil.
- Take a small frying pan, pop it onto the heat along with the oil and gently fry the garlic being careful not to burn it.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and the water and the sweet chilli sauce.
- Give the tomatoes a good mix and bring it to the boil.
- When the sauce starts to boil reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and when the sauce starts to thicken remove it from the heat, stir through the dried oregano and season to taste.
- Using another frying pan, pop this onto the heat to warm up and start to colour your steak.
- The steak is going to be put through a 2 stage cooking process so under cook your steak as it will finish cooking under the grill.
- When the steak is coloured on both sides, pop it onto the baking sheet.
- Top with the tomato sauce, add the pepper slices and top with the cheese.
- Grill your steak until the cheese starts to brown and when you’re happy that your steak is cooked to your liking, remove it from the grill.
- Serve your steak with your salad leaves and try to remember that you’re eating a meat pizza.
- For those on 2018 BC plans, sweet chilli sauce is a swap for other side sauces provided you choose one with equivalent macros.
- Keep your steak lean by trimming all visible fat.
- Traditionally in Italian cooking you would use the smallest pinch of sugar to take any acidity out of the tomatoes but for this recipe I am using the sweet chilli sauce to do that.