Whenever we order Indian takeaway, we always include a stack of papadum and the full pickle tray which includes the Kachumber Indian Onion Cucumber and Tomato Salad.
To my mind there’s never enough of the Kachumber salad, so when we’re having an Indian fakeaway, I make plenty to go around!
Ingredients for 4 servings
|Salt & pepper
(Example ingredient amounts given, adjust accordingly to your requirements)
- Peel and finely dice the onion and place it in a large jar – this is going to come in handy when it comes to mixing the salad and storing any leftovers.
- Cut the cucumber in half length ways and remove and discard the seeds with a teaspoon. Cut the remaining cucumber into thin batons before finely dicing and adding to the jar.
- Finely dice the tomatoes and add them to the jar, however if you’re using anything other than a baby tomato, you should remove and discard the seeds before dicing.
- Roughly chop the coriander and add it to the salad with the dried mint and a little sea salt.
- Put the lid on the jar and shake to combine the ingredients.
- Refrigerate the salad for 15 minutes before serving.
- Feel free to add a little more dried mint if you feel it’s needed. Remember it’s easy to add more later than to try and attempt to remove any excess.
- I like to buy a large bunch of coriander, finely chop and freeze it so I added frozen to the salad – you can’t taste the difference and it saves waste!
- The salad will last in the fridge for 2-3 days but we never have any leftovers!
- This salad is a great side for samosas and other Indian sides too!