For years I had a burger press and waxed discs, but I’ve abandoned them to form my own burgers lovingly by hand.
It was a real labour of love hand cutting the shoestring fries as well, but just because the end result was a burger and fries, they deserve as much care and attention a roast dinner requires.
Burgers need love too!
This is one of the many recipes I created when I followed the 90 Day Plan by The Body Coach. Simply use your plans ingredient amounts instead of those shown in the recipe. There are 220 Create Your Own (CYO) friendly recipes in my app and on this website.
Ingredients for 1 serving
|218 g||extra lean beef mince||173 g||sweet potatoes||46 g||onions, thinly sliced||95 g||cherry tomatoes, sliced in half||6 g||olive oil||25 ml||sweet chilli sauce||6||pickled jalepeno slices||149 g||asparagus||1/4 tsp||dried sage||1/4 tsp||dried thyme||1/4 tsp||smoked paprika||1/4 tsp||onion granules||1/4 tsp||garlic granules||salt and pepper|
- Pre-heat your oven to 190°C fan/400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with non stick foil.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into 2 inch chunks, cut in half and cut into little match sticks. This will take a few minutes, but when they’re ready it will be worth the effort.
- When the fries are cut, coat in the oil with a little salt and cook in the oven for approx 20-25 minutes.
- Place the beef mince into a bowl and add the dried sage, dried thyme, smoked paprika, onion granules and garlic granules.
- Give everything a good mix with your hands and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix it all again before placing it fridge for 10 minutes.
- Use a steamer to cook the asparagus to your liking and set aside.
- Put a small frying pan on a medium heat to warm.
- Remove the burger mix from the fridge, shape into burger patties with wet hands and start to dry fry. Don’t make them too thick as they will take longer to cook.
- When they’re firm to the touch they’re cooked, remove them from the heat to rest.
- Plate up the fries, tomatoes, onion and asparagus. Add the burger patties to the plate and top with the jalapeno slices and sweet chilli sauce.
- Make sure your mince is extra lean, less than 5% of fat per 100g.
- For those on 2018 BC plans, sweet chilli sauce is a swap for other side sauces provided you choose one with equivalent macros.
- Wetting your hands before forming your patties will stop the mince sticking to them.
- The thicker the burger pattie, the longer it will take to cook!
- The pickled jalapeno slices I use contain no added sugar.