A chicken breast is considered a bit of a blank canvas.
There are so many things you can do with it and it’s amazing how a few herbs and mozzarella can transform a simple piece of chicken.
I love a recipe where I can pop most of it in the oven while I faff around the kitchen!
This is one of the many recipes I created when I followed the 90 Day Plan by The Body Coach. Simply use your plans ingredient amounts instead of those shown in the recipe. There are 220 Create Your Own (CYO) friendly recipes in my app and on this website.
Ingredients for 1 serving
|267 g||chicken breast||116 g||mushrooms, sliced||95 g||chopped tomatoes||1/2 tsp||dried basil||1/2 tsp||dried oregano||6 g||olive oil||149 g||broccoli||1||garlic clove, chopped or crushed||66 g||mozzarella||48 ml||sweet chilli sauce||salt and pepper|
- Pre-heat your oven to 190°C fan/400°F and line a baking sheet with non stick foil.
- Place your chicken breast onto the lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the dried herbs and a little seasoning to taste.
- Bake in the oven for around 25 minutes until cooked through.
- Cut the broccoli into florets and cut the stalk into batons.
- Place the broccoli into a steamer or boiling water and cook until a knife easy pierces the flesh.
- Drain the broccoli but keep at least 50ml of the cooking water to one side.
- Place a frying pan on a medium heat with half the oil.
- Add half of the garlic and gently sauté before adding the broccoli.
- Add half of the reduced liquid, season and pop a lid on.
- Take another frying pan and pop on a medium heat, sauté the mushrooms for a few minutes with a little salt and when they’re soft set them aside.
- In the same pan add the remaining oil and garlic before adding the chopped tomatoes, remaining broccoli water and sweet chilli sauce.
- Bring this to the boil and turn down to a simmer so it can thicken. This should only take a few minutes.
- When the sauce is nice and thick, season to taste and set aside.
- Check on the broccoli, this should be quite soft with the florets starting to breakdown.
- If there is still quite a lot of water, simmer for a few minutes until the water evaporates leaving a thick broccoli stew.
- Check the chicken, this should be almost cooked through.
- Top the chicken with the mozzarella and bake for another 5-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through (firm to the touch) and the mozzarella has turned golden brown.
- When all elements are ready, add everything to your plate and sit down to eat!
- When it comes to broccoli, there’s lots of flavour in the stalk, such a pity to throw it away! Chop it up into smaller pieces and steam it with the florets.
- For those on 2018 BC plans, sweet chilli sauce is a swap for other side sauces provided you choose one with equivalent macros.
- Traditionally in Italian cooking you would use the smallest pinch of sugar to take any acidity out of the tomatoes but for this recipe I am using the sweet chilli sauce to do that.