This has to be one of my favourite breakfasts.
Normally, the eggs would be topped with home roasted peppers that have been warmed through, but this is the next best thing as the temptation with home roasted peppers is to drizzle some of the flavoured oil onto the eggs.
Gotta watch those extra calories!
This is one of the many recipes I created when I followed the 90 Day Plan by The Body Coach. Simply use your plans ingredient amounts instead of those shown in the recipe. There are 220 Create Your Own (CYO) friendly recipes in my app and on this website.
Ingredients for 1 serving
|slices of bread
|Walden Farms near zero ketchup
|salt and pepper
- Take a medium frying pan and pop it on to heat.
- Throw in the peppers, onion and a little salt.
- The salt is going to bring out the vegetables natural juices so you won’t need to add oil yet.
- When they’ve softened, add the spinach and cook until wilted, then set aside.
- Take the bread slices and cut out the the centre so that you’re left with the crust – you’re making a recess for the eggs to sit in.
- Put the frying pan back onto a medium heat, add the oil, but using a pastry brush give one side of the crust a brush with a little oil.
- Put both crust slices into the pan and gently cook for a minute.
- Crack an egg into each recess.
- Turn the heat down a little and let the eggs start to set.
- When you think is safe to do so, turn each slice over to cook the other side of the egg.
- Cook the egg to your liking.
- Pop the rest of the bread slice in the toaster, these will be needed later for dipping (no waste here!).
- When you’re happy with the eggs, pop these onto a pre-warmed plate to serve and add the peppers, onion, spinach mixture, not forgetting the toasted bread, these will be required for dipping and mopping!
- Don’t forget to serve the ketchup!
- This recipe deserves really good bread like sourdough or an artisan loaf – you won’t be sorry.
- Swap the peppers for home made roasted peppers. The flavours are a marriage made in heaven!
- The near zero ketchup has been used in place of the side sauce. If you don’t have any, feel free to leave out of the recipe.