Many years ago I watched the movie Moonstruck with Cher in the lead role.
There’s a scene where she makes a version of this recipe.
She takes a slice of what looks to be really good bread, takes the middle out and fries an egg in it.
Then it’s topped with some home made roasted peppers from a jar.
This recipe is a lean version of that dish and it’s one of my favourite breakfasts!
This is one of the many recipes I created when I followed the 90 Day Plan by The Body Coach. Simply use your plans ingredient amounts instead of those shown in the recipe. There are 220 Create Your Own (CYO) friendly recipes in my app and on this website.
Ingredients for 1 serving
|2||eggs||2||egg whites||112 g||chicken breast sausages||2||slices of bread||52 g||peppers, sliced||116 g||mushrooms, sliced||6 g||olive oil||25 ml||sweet chilli sauce||149 g||spinach||salt and pepper|
- Take a medium frying pan and pop it on to heat.
- Add the sausages and cook through and then set them aside.
- Using the same pan add the peppers, mushrooms and a little salt. The salt is going to bring out the vegetables natural juices so you won’t need to add oil yet.
- When they’ve softened, add the spinach and continue to cook everything until the spinach has wilted, then set aside.
- Take the bread slices and cut out the the centre so that you’re left with the crust. You’re making a recess for the egg and egg whites to sit in.
- Put the frying pan back onto a medium heat, add the oil, but using a pastry brush give one side of the crust a brush with a little oil.
- Put both crust slices into the pan and gently cook for a minute.
- Crack an egg into each recess and top up with as much of your egg whites as possible.
- Turn the heat down a little and let the eggs start to set.
- When you think is safe to do so, turn each slice over to cook the other side of the egg.
- Cook the egg to your preference. For me, the whites need to be set and the yolks runny.
- Pop the rest of the bread slice in the toaster, these will be needed later for dipping (no waste here!).
- When you’re happy with the eggs, pop these onto a pre-warmed plate to serve and add the sausages, vegetables, sweet chilli sauce and not forgetting the toasted bread, these will be required for dipping and mopping!
- This recipe deserves good bread!
- For those on 2018 BC plans, chicken breast can be swapped for lean chicken/turkey breast sausages, but reduce grams by 25%.
- For those on 2018 BC plans, sweet chilli sauce is a swap for other side sauces provided you choose one with equivalent macros.
- For anyone following older BC plans and are on Cycle 3 – if you don’t have bread in your plan you should enquire to see if you may have it added to your ingredients list. It’s unusual for it to be refused, but check first.