For anyone who regularly dines at Italian restaurants you will be familiar with melenzane alla parmigiana, an aubergine parmesan bake.
It’s cheesy, with a lovely tangy tomato sauce and thin slices of melt in the mouth aubergine.
I’ve been able to make a lean version which is full of flavour, cheesy and simple to make.
It’s lovely to have a familiar dish and there’s the added bonus of the lovely stringy mozzarella topping!
This is one of the many recipes I created when I followed the 90 Day Plan by The Body Coach. Simply use your plans ingredient amounts instead of those shown in the recipe. There are 220 Create Your Own (CYO) friendly recipes in my app and on this website.
Ingredients for 1 serving
|266 g||chicken breast||110 g||aubergine||95 g||chopped tomatoes||1||garlic clove, chopped or crushed||6 g||olive oil||66 g||mozzarella, torn into pieces||48 ml||sweet chilli sauce||30 ml||water||10 g||fresh basil leaves, chopped||149 g||broccoli||salt and pepper|
- Pre-heat your oven to 190°C fan/400°F and line a baking sheet.
- Cut your aubergine into circular thin slices but don’t peel the aubergine. The skin adds a lovely texture.
- Lay the aubergine slices on the foil lined baking sheet.
- Take your half of your olive oil and using a pastry brush brush a little oil onto the slices.
- Bake these in the oven for around 10 minutes. You’re looking to sofen the slices rather than colour them.
- Take a frying pan and put it on a medium heat. Add the remaining oil and gently fry the garlic for a minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, water and sweet chilli sauce.
- Bring to a rapid boil, turn the heat down to a simmer, add the chopped basil and then simmer for approximately 5 minutes to reduce the sauce.
- Season to taste and take off the heat.
- Take a small oven proof ceramic dish, use the pastry brush to brush the bottom with a little sauce.
- Add a layer of aubergine slices and top with sauce applied with the pastry brush.
- Repeat but after the tomato add some mozzarella.
- Repeat and the top layer should be mozzarella.
- Bake until the mozzarella is golden brown.
- Put a clean frying pan onto a medium heat while the aubergines are baking.
- Sprinkle the top of the chicken breast with a little salt and leave to cook with the lid on.
- After 5 minutes turn the chicken over and leave to cook. The salt will help the chicken to brown, and it’s cooked when the chicken is firm to the touch.
- When the chicken is cooked, set aside.
- Steam the broccoli to your liking and start to plate up.
- Add the chicken to the plate along with the broccoli and pop the ceramic dish onto the plate without burning yourself!
- For those on 2018 BC plans, sweet chilli sauce is a swap for other side sauces provided you choose one with equivalent macros.
- Traditionally in Italian cooking you would use the smallest pinch of sugar to take any acidity out of the tomatoes but for this recipe I am using the sweet chilli sauce to do that.
- It used to be common place to salt aubergines to draw out any bitterness, but providing your aubergines are fresh there is no need to salt them before cooking.