I’ve made quite a few spicy dishes lately.
This recipe is about toning it down on the heat front but packing it full of flavour.
It’s also a great recipe to adapt to what’s in the supermarkets so my latest remake of this recipe includes some lovely sliced runner beans!
This is one of the many recipes I created when I followed the 90 Day Plan by The Body Coach. Simply use your plans ingredient amounts instead of those shown in the recipe. There are 220 Create Your Own (CYO) friendly recipes in my app and on this website.
Ingredients for 1 serving
|221 g||chicken breast, chopped into chunks||92 g||peeled raw king prawns||95 g||chopped tomatoes, blended until smooth||76 g||paella rice||46 g||onions, chopped||1 tsp||smoked paprika||1 tsp||dried thyme||5 g||fresh parsley, chopped||0.5||chicken stock cube||200 ml||boiling water||149 g||mange tout||6 g||olive oil||25 g||reduced fat sour cream||0.5||lemon, juice only|
- Put a medium frying pan on a medium heat, add the oil and add the chopped onion.
- Move the onion around the pan for a minute then add the smoked paprika, dried thyme and rice.
- Give everything a good stir, add the tomatoes, crumble in the stock cube and add half the water.
- Give everything another good stir before bringing the pan to a rapid boil.
- Add the chopped chicken before reducing the heat to a simmer and cover for a few minutes.
- Be careful not to let the pan go dry, check it to make sure there’s still water to cook the rice and add water as you feel is needed.
- After 15 minutes or so the chicken will be cooked, the rice almost cooked and nows the time to add the prawns and mange tout.
- Add a little water so as not to let the rice catch or burn on the bottom of the pan and cover with a lid.
- After around a further 5 minutes the rice should be ready.
- Take the pan off the heat, plate up the paella, sprinkle with the chopped fresh parsley, a squeeze of lemon and a little dollop of the reduced fat sour cream.
- For anyone following older BC plans, I have reduced the chicken amount by 20%, worked out what 20% of the equivalent king prawn amount would be.
- Again, for anyone following older BC plans, rice will be included as part of your carbs list, but the swaps page does not distinguish between varieties of rice and the macros for basmati and paella rice are very similar.
- Risotto rice also works well for this recipe.
- I like to use low salt stock cubes.
- Runner beans when in season also work well in place of the mange tout.