I’m not normally one to try out a new food ‘fad’ but I have to admit that I’m glad I made cloud eggs that day.
Not only are they really simple to make, but they’re a lovely new way to enjoy eggs.
These light and fluffy egg clouds are even a hit with my children as the texture is very different to what they know!
This is one of the many recipes I created when I followed the 90 Day Plan by The Body Coach. Simply use your plans ingredient amounts instead of those shown in the recipe. There are 220 Create Your Own (CYO) friendly recipes in my app and on this website.
Ingredients for 1 serving
|154 g||smoked salmon||95 g||cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters||46 g||spring onion, finely chopped||2||whole eggs||2||egg whites||1||lemon||6 g||olive oil||48 ml||sweet chilli sauce||149 g||spinach|
- Pre-heat your oven to 190°C fan/400°F and line a baking sheet with non stick foil.
- Separate your egg whites from the yolks and set aside the yolks in a bowl for later.
- Combine all egg whites into a large bowl, and using either an electric or hand whisk, beat the eggs until they reach the stiff peak (like meringue) stage.
- Using a spoon create little meringue clouds on your lined baking sheets and create a little well in the centre for the yolks to sit in later.
- Repeat the last step until you have enough clouds for the number of egg yolks and leave one free for some smoked salmon.
- Place these in the oven for approximately 4-5 minutes for them to firm up and start to change colour.
- When you’re happy that they’ve set remove the baking tray and carefully place an egg yolk in the centre of the cloud.
- Put the cloud eggs back into the oven until the yolks are cooked to your liking. Approx 3-4 minutes for soft yolks, 5-6 minutes for hard yolks.
- Put a frying pan onto the heat and when it is hot add the spinach.
- Use a pair of tongs to move the spinach around the pan until it wilts.
- Place the wilted spinach into a bowl along with the tomatoes and spring onion.
- Take the lemon and cut a slice and set it aside for later.
- Add the olive oil to the bowl along with a little squeeze of lemon and season to taste.
- When the cloud eggs are ready, remove these from the oven and carefully peel them away from the non stick foil before popping them onto a plate.
- Take a few slices of smoked salmon and cut it into finer slices and arrange them onto the cloud egg that has no egg yolk.
- Add the remaining smoked salmon to the plate with the lemon slice from earlier.
- Arrange the wilted spinach and tomato salad onto the plate, add a dash of sweet chilli sauce and enjoy!
- For those on 2018 BC plans, sweet chilli sauce is a swap for other side sauces provided you choose one with equivalent macros.
- Make sure the bowl you use to beat your egg whites is free from any grease as this will stop the egg whites reaching the required stiff peaks stage.
- Use the freshest eggs you can as you will get a better meringue.
- Why not batch cook this recipe and have a portion ready for tomorrow too!
- The cloud eggs in the picture were made from 1 whole egg and 1 egg white.
- For anyone following BC plans, you will notice that the accompanying video shows cheese being added to the cloud eggs. This hasn’t been included in the recipe as this goes against your plan guidelines.
Find me on: Web