I only have 2 flavours of protein powder and I love the challenge of making different flavours of protein porridge oats using some store cupboard ingredients.
At the time of making this recipe the supermarkets are starting to stock their Christmas confectionery so it’s only fair to make chocolate orange protein porridge oats.
his is one of the many lean recipes that I’ve created where flavour and simplicity are key. There are hundreds of lean recipes in my app The Lean Cook with adjustable calories and macros.
Ingredients for 1 serving
|50 g||porridge oats||25 g||whey protein powder, chocolate flavour||1||orange, zest only||1||Piece of Terrys chocolate orange|
- Run a zesting tool across the orange twice to produce strands of orange zest and use a fine grater to grate the remaining zest into a bowl.Set aside for later.
- Pour the porridge oats into a small sauce pan and add enough water to cover the oats comfortably.
- Pop the pan onto a medium heat and start stirring.
- After a few minutes the water will come to boiling point and the oats will start to bubble.
- At this point turn the heat down and keep stirring.
- Cook out the porridge oats for a couple of minutes until they are lovely and thick.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the whey protein and the grated orange zest.
- Using a wooden spoon vigorously mix in the protein powder until it’s been incorporated.
- Transfer the porridge oats to your bowl. Top with the segment of Terrys chocolate orange and strands of orange zest.
- I like to use jumbo oats, but regular porridge oats work great too.
- Don’t be tempted to use a high heat to speed up the cooking as you want the oats to release their sticky goodness.