This is my first recipe for a lean soup and it’s not green as you might imagine! Its really simple to make, very filling and the addition of the cheesy green beans is a nice touch I feel. Hope you like it!
Ingredients for 1 serving
|267g||chicken breast, chopped into chunks|
|95g||courgette, peeled and diced|
|1/4 tsp||dried tarragon|
|1||garlic clove, chopped or crushed|
|1||chicken stock cube|
|39g||cheddar cheese, grated|
|46g||reduced fat sour cream|
|salt and pepper|
(Example ingredient amounts given, adjust accordingly to your requirements)
- Take a medium sauce pan and pop it onto a low heat.
- Add the butter, chopped onion along with the garlic and cook this on a low heat until the onion softens.
- This will take approx 5-10 minutes and the butter will start to caramelise a little.
- At this point add your mushrooms and courgette pieces and cook for a few minutes to soften.
- Add your boiling water to the pan, sprinkle the stock cube into the pan, stir it well to dissolve the stock cube and add the tarragon.
- Turn the heat up and bring the pan to the boil, then add your chicken.
- After a couple of minutes, reduce the pan to a simmer and allow the pan to simmer for at least 10 minutes to poach the chicken and to reduce the stock.
- When you’re happy that the chicken is cooked take out one third of your chicken along with approximately 6-8 mushroom pieces to act as a garnish and set them aside.
- Take the pan off the heat and using a stick blender carefully blend the soup until it’s smooth.
- The blended chicken gives the soup a lovely creamy appearance and if you feel the soup is still a little watery reduce it for another 5 minutes on a medium high heat, but remember it won’t be as thick as a conventional soup because there are no traditional thickening agents like potato.
- Pre heat your grill to its highest setting.
- Steam your green beans.
- When they are cooked to your liking pop them in a small ceramic dish, cover them with the grated cheddar and pop them under the grill so melt the cheese.
- When the cheese has turned golden brown, remove the beans from the grill and set them aside ready for serving.
- When you’re happy with the consistency of your soup, taste it to check the seasoning and take it off the heat.
- Stir through your reduced fat sour cream to add an element of luxury to the soup.
- Take the chicken that you set aside earlier, shred it into smallish pieces, pour your soup into your bowl and top with the shredded chicken and mushroom slices.
- Serve your soup with your green bean cheese straws and dig in!
- For anyone following older BC plans, you’ll notice that this recipe features 3 items from the vegetable list, therefore amounts of 2 have been halved so as not to affect the macros.
- I like to use low salt stock cubes.