This is my first recipe for a lean soup and it’s not green as you might imagine!
Its really simple to make, very filling and the addition of the cheesy green beans is a nice touch I feel.
Hope you like it!
This is one of the many recipes I created when I followed the 90 Day Plan by The Body Coach. Simply use your plans ingredient amounts instead of those shown in the recipe. There are 220 Create Your Own (CYO) friendly recipes in my app and on this website.
Ingredients for 1 serving
|267 g||chicken breast, chopped into chunks||23 g||onions, chopped||58 g||mushrooms, sliced||95 g||courgette, peeled and diced||1/4 tsp||dried tarragon||6 g||butter||1||garlic clove, chopped or crushed||600 ml||boiling water||1||chicken stock cube||39 g||cheddar cheese, grated||46 g||reduced fat sour cream||149 g||green beans||salt and pepper|
- Take a medium sauce pan and pop it onto a low heat.
- Add the butter, chopped onion along with the garlic and cook this on a low heat until the onion softens.
- This will take approx 5-10 minutes and the butter will start to caramelise a little.
- At this point add your mushrooms and courgette pieces and cook for a few minutes to soften.
- Add your boiling water to the pan, sprinkle the stock cube into the pan, stir it well to dissolve the stock cube and add the tarragon.
- Turn the heat up and bring the pan to the boil, then add your chicken.
- After a couple of minutes, reduce the pan to a simmer and allow the pan to simmer for at least 10 minutes to poach the chicken and to reduce the stock.
- When you’re happy that the chicken is cooked take out one third of your chicken along with approximately 6-8 mushroom pieces to act as a garnish and set them aside.
- Take the pan off the heat and using a stick blender carefully blend the soup until it’s smooth.
- The blended chicken gives the soup a lovely creamy appearance and if you feel the soup is still a little watery reduce it for another 5 minutes on a medium high heat, but remember it won’t be as thick as a conventional soup because there are no traditional thickening agents like potato.
- Pre heat your grill to its highest setting.
- Steam your green beans.
- When they are cooked to your liking pop them in a small ceramic dish, cover them with the grated cheddar and pop them under the grill so melt the cheese.
- When the cheese has turned golden brown, remove the beans from the grill and set them aside ready for serving.
- When you’re happy with the consistency of your soup, taste it to check the seasoning and take it off the heat.
- Stir through your reduced fat sour cream to add an element of luxury to the soup.
- Take the chicken that you set aside earlier, shred it into smallish pieces, pour your soup into your bowl and top with the shredded chicken and mushroom slices.
- Serve your soup with your green bean cheese straws and dig in!
- For anyone following older BC plans, you’ll notice that this recipe features 3 items from the vegetable list, therefore amounts of 2 have been halved so as not to affect the macros.
- I like to use low salt stock cubes.