I can walk down the vegetable isle blindfold and pick up the same vegetables each week, but occasionally I do stray from my list. The trouble is during a busy week I cook on auto-pilot and reach for the same vegetables leaving the ‘new guys’ behind.
This time I decided to take my celeriac and turn it into a healthy gratin. It was quick to make and really delicious too!
Ingredients for 4 servings
|150ml||creme fraiche, reduced fat|
|75ml||semi skimmed milk|
|salt & pepper|
(Example ingredient amounts given, adjust accordingly to your requirements)
- Pre-heat your oven to 190°C fan/400°F.
- Carefully peel and finely slice the celeriac.
- Mix the egg, creme fraiche, milk and half of the cheese along with a little seasoning to taste.
- Beat the mixture together and pour a third of the batter into the bottom of an oven proof dish.
- Line the dish with the celeriac slices until all slices have been used.
- Pour over the remaining batter and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes so that the celeriac is cooked through and the cheese is golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve!
- Feel free to swap the cheddar for your favourite cheese. I happened to have Red Leicester cheese available.
- This side dish is a great alternative to cauliflower cheese and much simpler to make too!