At the weekend I love to cook family meals with lots of vegetables but I have a tendency to prepare too much so leftovers are inevitable. In an effort to reduce food waste I’m really excited to make my leftover veg more interesting. The recipe details the vegetables I used on this occasion, but feel free to use what you have after a busy weekend!
Ingredients for 4 servings
|50g||cheddar cheese, grated|
|salt and pepper|
(Example ingredient amounts given, adjust accordingly to your requirements)
- Preheat your grill to its highest setting.
- Take a medium frying pan and put it onto a medium heat along with the oil.
- Add the onions and leave them for a few minutes to soften.
- Take a large bowl and add your cooked leftover vegetables along with the softened onions.
- Using a wooden spoon, spend a few minutes carefully combining all the ingredients but add any extra seasoning you feel is necessary.
- Transfer the vegetables to the frying pan you used to soften the onion and flatten the mixture.
- Put the frying pan onto a medium heat with a lid so as to warm the vegetables.
- When you’re happy that the vegetables are warmed thought (remember they’re already cooked), sprinkle the cheese over the top and place under the grill.
- When the cheese is golden brown, carefully remove the pan from the grill and serve your bubble and squeak as a side.
- Feel free to mix up the vegetables. These are what I had in the fridge after the weekend, but mashed potato is a crucial ingredient as it binds all the vegetables together.
- Try not to make your fritters too thick as they will take longer to cook on each side.
- This is a great way to serve vegetables to reluctant veggie eaters!