My tasty chilli recipe is ready in minutes and is one of my most popular recipes. I’ve made a vegetarian version that’s packed full of flavour and is just as quick to make. If you love the original recipe, you’ll love this! Serve it with broccoli rice and you’ll see it becoming a reduced carb meal favourite and once you get the hang of making broccoli rice, you won’t buy the ready made version again!
Ingredients for 1 serving
|100g||edamame beans, frozen|
|120g||kidney beans, tinned, drained weight|
|1||garlic clove, crushed|
|1 tsp||smoked paprika|
|1 tsp||ground cumin|
|1||chilli, sliced, seeds or no seeds up to you!|
|95g||chopped tomatoes, blended until smooth|
|39g||cheddar cheese, grated|
|46g||reduced fat sour cream|
|1/2||vegetable stock cube|
|10g||fresh coriander, chopped|
|5||pickled jalepeno slices|
|149g||broccoli made into broccoli rice|
|salt and pepper|
(Example ingredient amounts given, adjust accordingly to your requirements)
- Using a mini food processor, blitz the peppers and onions to a paste.
- Add the olive oil to a frying pan and put it on a medium heat.
- Add the onion and pepper mixture and cook on a medium heat for 2 minutes, being careful not to let them colour too quickly.
- Now add the frozen edamame beans and drained kidney beans and stir fry them for a few minutes.
- Add the garlic, smoked paprika, cumin and chilli and thoroughly coat the beans.
- Sprinkle the stock cube over the beans, add the water and stir.
- Add the smooth tomato mixture, give everything a good stir and leave to simmer for a few minutes so that the water can reduce and the sauce thicken.
- Take another frying pan and pop it onto the heat and warm the broccoli rice.
- Move the rice around the pan and if necessary, add a tablespoon of water to help it steam.
- When the sauce has thickened add the chilli to the plate along with the broccoli rice.
- Top with the chopped coriander, jalepeno peppers, cheddar and the sour cream.
- For anyone following older BC plans, you’ll notice that this recipe features 3 items from the vegetable list, therefore amounts of 2 have been halved so as not to affect the macros. Because you need peppers, onion AND tomatoes to make this recipe work, you have to halve the peppers and onion in order to have the full tomato allowance to create a sauce.
- The pickled jalapeño slices I use contain no added sugar.
- I like to use low salt stock cubes.
- Check out the video showing exactly how to make broccoli rice!