It’s become an unwritten rule in my household that my breakfast is for sharing, but some days I just would like breakfast all to my self -#selfishmummy – so when my twins are enjoying their toast the coast is clear for me to bring out my jar of overnight oats, even though they’re topped with their favourite fruit! A delicious treat and it’s only breakfast time.
Ingredients for 1 serving
|175ml||almond milk, sweetened|
(Example ingredient amounts given, adjust accordingly to your requirements)
- Add your porridge oats and chia seeds into your container – I like to use a jam jar.
- Pour in the almond milk and give everything a good stir before popping the lid on and refrigerating overnight.
- The next morning remove the stalks from the strawberries and pop them into a small saucepan to crush with a fork.
- When the strawberries have been crushed, turn the heat on to medium and allow the strawberries to release their sweet juices – heating the strawberries will intensify their flavour.
- After a couple of minutes remove the pan from the heat and carefully arrange the strawberries on top of the oats straight from the fridge.
- The warm sweet strawberries against the cold sticky oats is just a lovely combination!
- I like to add chia seeds to my overnight oats to soak up some of the excess liquid, plus it adds a lovely texture to compliment the oats.
- You can prepare the strawberries in advance and either add them cold or pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to heat up.
- I prefer to use sweetened almond milk to remove the need to sweeten the oats with something more calorie packed.