I love lasagne. Growing up it was something we had on special occasions and as you can imagine I learned to cook this from a young age. I used to have a lasagne in the oven ready for when my parents came home from a holiday – my dad loved his home comforts!
Ingredients for 1 serving
|175g||extra lean beef mince|
|95g||courgette, cut on the diagonal into slices|
|1||garlic clove, chopped or crushed|
|1/2 tsp||dried oregano|
|1/2 tsp||dried basil|
|66g||mozzarella, cut into small pieces|
|48ml||sweet chilli sauce|
|salt and pepper|
(Example ingredient amounts given, adjust accordingly to your requirements)
- Pre-heat your oven to 190°C fan/400°F.
- Put a frying pan onto a medium heat, add the olive oil and the beef mince.
- Spend a few minutes browning the mince and break up any large clumps of meat.
- When the mince is browned, add the garlic and allow this to soften for a minute or so.
- Blend the chopped tomatoes until smooth and add them to the pan along with the dried herbs, water and sweet chilli sauce.
- Give everything a good mix and bring this to the boil, then allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes to reduce and thicken the sauce.
- When you’re happy with the consistency of the sauce, taste it to check the seasoning and take it off the heat.
- Take a small oven proof ceramic dish and coat the bottom with some of the sauce.
- Add a layer of courgette, cover with more sauce and top with mozzarella.
- Repeat this until you’ve used all your ingredients.
- Bake this in the oven for 20-30 minutes to cook the courgette and to melt the mozzarella to a lovely golden brown.
- Steam the broccoli to your liking and add it to your plate along with your lasagne.
- Make sure your mince is extra lean, less than 5% of fat per 100g.
- To make the sauce go further, I like to blend my tomatoes until smooth.
- For those on 2018 BC plans, sweet chilli sauce is a swap for other side sauces provided you choose one with equivalent macros.
- Traditionally in Italian cooking you would use the smallest pinch of sugar to take any acidity out of the tomatoes but for this recipe I am using the sweet chilli sauce to do that.
- This recipe is great for batch cooking.