My original recipe for the breakfast sausage pattie has been an unexpected hit amongst fellow leanies, but I wanted to take this to another level. If you love the idea of a lean and reduced carb cheesy sausage roll then this is for you!
Ingredients for 1 serving
|176g||extra lean beef mince|
|46g||onions, finely chopped|
|1 tsp||dried sage|
|29g||cheddar cheese, grated|
|48ml||sweet chilli sauce|
|salt and pepper|
(Example ingredient amounts given, adjust accordingly to your requirements)
- Put a frying pan on a medium heat and brush the frying pan with the oil using a pastry brush.
- Whisk the whole eggs with the egg whites and pour into the frying pan to make a large pancake.
- Gently cook the egg so that you can see the egg has set, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Repeat this process until you have used all of your eggs.
- Pre-heat your oven to 190°C fan/400°F and line a baking sheet with non stick foil.
- Put the beef mince into a bowl with the finely chopped onion, dried sage and season to taste.
- Using your hands give the beef a good mix to evenly distribute the seasoning and onion throughout the mince.
- Divide your mince to the number of egg wraps you’ve made and shape them into a sausage shape as long as your wrap.
- Bake these in the oven for 10 minutes before removing them from the oven.
- Place a wrap onto a chopping board, sprinkle some of your cheese across the centre of the wrap, place your sausage across the top and start to wrap the egg wrap around the sausage.
- Repeat until you’ve used all of your sausage mix and egg wraps, and then bake for a final 10 minutes.
- Take a non stick frying pan and pop it on a medium heat, add your mushrooms with a sprinkle of salt and any remaining oil, cook until softened and set aside.
- Wilt the spinach in the same pan and pop onto a plate with the mushrooms.
- When the sausage rolls are ready, remove them from the oven, cut them in half and pop them onto the plate.
- Add a dollop of sweet chilli sauce and enjoy your sausage roll!
- Make sure your mince is extra lean, less than 5% of fat per 100g.
- For those on 2018 BC plans, sweet chilli sauce is a swap for other side sauces provided you choose one with equivalent macros.
- I highly recommend you make the mince mixture the day before as the flavour will be just like a sage and onion sausage.
- For anyone following older BC plans, I have halved the amounts for both eggs and cheese to be able to include both in the recipe and not affect the macros. However, if you feel you don’t have enough eggs to have both cheese AND egg, then leave the cheese out. It is possible to make the egg wrap from as little as 1 egg and 1 egg white in a pan which is 22cm diameter.
- Check out the video showing exactly how to make egg wraps!